Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pura Vida

When most people think of a trip to Costa Rica, an image comes to mind of flying on zip-lines through the air like monkeys or reeling in the big-one while deep sea fishing. While both of these activities are some of my favorites when visiting Costa Rica, scuba diving is still what I look forward to the most each year.

My family and I have visited the Quepos and Manuel Antonio area of Costa Rica every year since I was in fifth grade, and it has become a place I hold close to my heart. In fact, I was reluctant to write this week's post on this location because I fear it will one day become an over-commercialized tourist attraction like so many best kept secret locations do. But, deep down I knew this place had to be shared.
Manuel Antonio National Park
(pic from:http://skvots.net/costa-rica-national-parks.html

This Costa Rican "diamond in the rough" is most well-known for the Manuel Antonio National Park. The park includes 1,700 acres of land mass and 135,906 acres of marine reserve. Manuel Antonio includes four white sand beaches and never-ending lush jungle. The ocean surrounding Manuel Antonio's reserve is the prime location for scuba diving, and it is where most dive tours are conducted.

Available Manuel Antonio Dive Sites
(Pic From: www.oceansunlimitedcr.com) 
Now let's talk about the kind of diving you can expect. As I said, most of the good dive sites are located within the reserve and are relatively easy to get to. I recommend planning your dive trip during the dry season (Dec-May) because the visibility is better than in the wet season (June-Nov), but either way you will be able to see some amazing marine life. Depending on the dive site's depth, you could see anything from angel fish and trumpet fish to sharks and eels. If you are lucky and it is the right season you may even see the migrating humpback whales.

The dive company I recommend is Oceans Unlimited. Oceans Unlimited has a very knowledgeable and helpful staff. I was impressed with the company because it really catered to everyone's dive abilities. 


Oceans Unlimited separated our tour group into an advanced group and a beginner group, allowing everyone to dive at their own comfortable speed. Considering that my dad had not seen scuba gear, let alone used it since he was 27 it was comforting that he didn't have to try to keep up with the advanced divers. The company's rates are relatively inexpensive and transportation to and from your hotel is also included.
La Mariposa Pool and Hotel
(Pic From: http://centralamerica.com/cr/hotel/mariposa.htm)

 Between Manuel Antonio and Quepos there are all sorts of hotels that fit any price range. My family and I were fortunate enough to stay at La Mariposa the first time we visited and have stayed there since.

Hotel La Mariposa is located on the highest point in Manuel Antonio and is known for its breathtaking views and unearthly sunsets. It is a relatively small hotel with only 62 rooms, a restaurant (with the best breakfast I've ever had), and three perfectly-placed pools for watching the sunset. Its quaint and attentive atmosphere made me feel like I was the only guest at the hotel and that my experience at their establishment was all they cared about.

Costa Rica's friendly locals and rich culture welcomes all visitors who are looking for a memorable time. So pack up your dive fins, buy a new swimsuit and schedule your flight today!

No comments:

Post a Comment